The dedicated legal team of Caputo & Mariotti
Scranton Car Accident Lawyer
If you suffer injuries following a car accident in Scranton, you have an important decision to make -- choosing the right law firm to handle your accident claim.
At Caputo & Mariotti, you get the justice that you deserve. Our Scranton car accident lawyer has the knowledge and track record of taking on the insurance company following a car accident. We've handled thousands of accident claims in Scranton, PA, and we are ready to help you with yours.
When You Need a Car Accident Law Firm
Unfortunately, the only certainty about car crashes is that they're bound to happen. According to 2018 statistics from the U.S. Department of Transportation, 1,190 fatal car crashes occurred in Pennsylvania. Of those crashes, 629 resulted from a single-vehicle accident, and 561 resulted from a multiple-vehicle collision.
When you suffer an injury following a Scranton car accident, you may be concerned about what your next actions should be. Do you call the insurance company and take the first settlement that's offered? Will you be able to afford the medical bills and property damage? Can you recoup the lost wages from your job?
Speaking to our experienced car accident attorneys, you'll understand the legal options available to you so you can make an informed decision. Our personal injury lawyer can help with the following:
- Work with accident reconstructionists and law enforcement consultants to learn the cause of the accident
- Find and follow up with the responsible parties to get the compensation you deserve
- Negotiate with the insurance company to receive an agreeable settlement amount for your claim
By not hiring a car accident lawyer to help with your claim, you may not receive the compensation that you deserve, such as payments for long-term medical care, compensation for emotional distress, or even funeral expenses.
Even if you are responsible for the accident, you still need a car accident lawyer to help you with your insurance claim. Your insurer will do everything it can to either reject your claim or pay you the bare minimum of what it believes your claim is worth. Because of these actions, you will need legal representation to aggressively go after the insurance company to get a fair settlement of your claim so you can continue living your life.
Why Choose Caputo & Mariotti To Handle My Scranton Car Accident Case?
With over 55 years of experience, rest assured that Caputo & Mariotti can easily fight on your behalf to give you the best possible outcome that you deserve.
Caputo & Mariotti have recovered millions in damages for its clients. Some of our top results include:
- $2.25 million award for a 15-year-old girl who was run over by the driver of a vehicle she had just exited
- $600,000 settlement for a victim after being rear-ended by a speeding tractor-trailer
- $300,000 settlement for a young man who sustained bulging discs in his lower back in a car accident
- $200,000 jury award on behalf of a client who sustained severe injuries in a car accident
When you hire us, you get justice. If you or a loved one suffered a car accident injury in Scranton, contact us at any time, and we'll be right by your side.
Top Causes Of A Fatal Car Crash In Scranton, PA
According to the National Transportation Safety Administration, these are the five major causes of fatal car accidents:
Drunk and Drug-Impaired Driving
Every day, approximately 30 people in the U.S. die in a drunk driving accident. DUIs claim the lives of more than 10,000 people each year.
Drunk driving can impair your reasoning, slow your reaction time, and affect your visual functions, all of which are needed to drive a vehicle properly.
Distracted driving not only kills drivers but other people who share the road. In 2018, 1,730 drivers, 605 passengers, 400 pedestrians, and 77 bicyclists were killed by distracted driving.
Just taking your eyes off the road for a few seconds can be deadly. Driving at 55 MPH, within 5 seconds you would have driven the length of a football field.
Seat Belt Use
14,955 lives were saved in 2017 because of the use of seat belts. Simultaneously, 2,549 more lives could have been saved during that time period if seat belts were used in crashes.
There were 9,378 speeding-related deaths in 2018; 48% were not wearing seat belts at the time of the crash.
Drowsy driving claimed the lives of 795 people in 2017, yet there were 91,000 motor vehicle crashes involving drowsy driving in 2017.
Although these are the top causes, there could be many factors contributing to an accident. For example, a sudden snowstorm causes the roads to become slick, making you skid and crash into a tree.
However, the most common reason is driver negligence. The likelihood of an accident occurring is greater with a careless driver than that of a responsible driver.
What To Do Following A Car Accident In Scranton, PA
You got into an accident while driving on the Central Scranton Expressway. Now what?
The steps you take following your car crash in Scranton are crucial to any claim you may file down the road. Keep this checklist in mind:
- First, remain calm. Take a moment to breathe and assess the situation. Are you and your passengers in stable condition?
- If you are in danger, make sure to move to a safe place if you can. For example, your car is stuck in the middle of the road following the accident. If you can drive, try to get it to the shoulder; otherwise, get out of the car and move to safety.
- Once you are safe, call 911 and report the accident as soon as you can.
- Check the other driver and make sure they are not in immediate danger. If you can, exchange contact information with the other party.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident, even if it's just a fender bender. Wait for the police to arrive.
- Once law enforcement arrives, make sure you tell the officer everything you remember about the accident. Even the most minor of details is essential to paint a clear picture of the incident.
- If possible, take pictures of the scene of the accident, the damage to your car, and any injuries you may have received.
- Be sure to document the damage that occurred to your vehicle, the other party's car, your injuries, their injuries, and anything that can be useful. Photos and video of the scene will help your case immensely.
- Get the contact information of the driver and any other people in the area that witnessed the accident.
- Obtain a copy of the police report as soon as you can.
Remember, you don't need to give a statement to anyone else besides the police, your own insurance company, and your lawyer. If the other party's insurance contacts you before you can speak with an attorney, you don't have to answer.
Your last step is to contact a Scranton car accident lawyer at Caputo & Mariotti. We will begin the investigation as you recover from your injuries.
"Choice No-Fault" State: What Does This Mean to Your Car Accident Claim?
Pennsylvania is a "choice no-fault" car insurance state. This means drivers have the option to choose between no-fault and traditional tort insurance.
For those who have no-fault policies, no matter who is responsible for your accident, you are restricted from suing another party unless the accident resulted in a serious injury, such as a serious disfigurement or impairment.
With traditional tort insurance, there are two options available - limited and full tort coverage. If you have full tort policy, it allows you to sue for pain and suffering. This means that in addition to general economic damages, victims who suffer significant pain because of the car accident may be eligible for further compensation in terms of non-economic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Loss of enjoyment
- Worsening of prior injuries
However, limited tort insurance policies do not allow you to sue for pain and suffering following a car accident. So although you save some money with limited tort, this could hurt your claim following a car accident.
As you can see, insurance laws in Pennslyvania can be quite complex and difficult to understand. Consulting with a skilled Scranton car accident lawyer will help you understand how much your claim is worth.
Contact A Scranton Car Accident Lawyer At Caputo & Mariotti Now
If you or a loved one are involved in a car accident in Scranton, PA, and suffer serious injuries, you’re going to need an experienced car accident attorney to help you with your claim. With the statute of limitations being only two years in Pennsylvania, the longer you wait to file a claim, the harder it will be for you to win your claim.
Contact a Scranton car accident lawyer at Caputo & Mariotti today for a free consultation. We will get you the justice that you deserve.